THRIFT… a textile art exhibition
Courtesy of Judy Newman, Event Co-ordinator from Expertise Events I have been invited to collaborate and curate THRIFT … a textile art exhibition at the 2019 Australasian Quilt Convention (AQC).
This exhibition aims to showcase and celebrate the work of both myself and that of my participants/students who have attended my textile art classes and workshops and who have evolved their textile art practice. Expressions of Interest to be involved are welcome and class participants are encouraged to embrace this opportunity to be a part of this unique event and include new stitching and artistic challenges in their work.
Artwork(s) will be on display in the Exhibition Hall from Thursday 11thApril until Sunday 14thApril 2019 at the Royal Exhibition Building, Nicholson Street Carlton Victoria
- Expressions of Interest close: Friday 8th March 2019.
- Promotional Images:Required by February 2019 (for finished works only)
- Delivery of artwork(s): Monday 1stApril 2019 (Time(s) and delivery point to be announced)
- Opening: Thursday 11thApril 2019.
- Exhibition ends: Sunday 14thApril
- Collection time: Sunday 14thApril or as arranged (Time(s) and pick up point to be announced).
Complete and send in the 2019 AQC THRIFT EXHIBITION Application and please observe Conditions of Entry.
Exhibitors must have attended textile art workshops or classes with me (Christine Lethlean Textile Artist). Artwork(s) may be abstract, naïve or figurative and can include some elements of mixed media. The subject of artwork can be varied, for example vistas, still life, portraiture, flora or fauna.
Reflecting the principles using old, discarded and unused textiles, each piece must be made from reclaimed fabrics, fibres or bric-a-brac in line with the exhibition theme ‘THRIFT’.
The following techniques are required –
- Layered background (hand stitched onto substrate)
- Constructed foreground of raw edged segments of textiles
- Applique work
- Free motion machine drawing/stitching [desirable]
- Embroidered embellishment(s)
FRAMING FOR DISPLAY
Each piece will be displayed mounted with a matt board attached to a foam board backing. For display purposes and overall continuity of the exhibition, the colour of the matt board mounting will be off white. Art work will be adhered to the free-standing display wall using Velcro. Each artwork must be backed and overlocked or stitched around the edge using a 1.4” seam before being mounted with the matt board.
Entry cost is free however a minimal framing cost for matt board and backing foam board cut to size is $20.00 per item and can be ordered at email@example.com.
There is a limit on size to ensure adequate space on the display wall. All work(s) must be worked to be square and no larger than 14” x 14” (35.5 cms x 35.5 cms). It can be smaller but must be square in shape.
Other entry requirements include –
- Artwork(s) must not have been exhibited or shown before.
- Artwork(s) is not for sale at this event
- Artwork(s) may be two or three dimensional and can be in any style or form suitable for matt board mounting
- Artists can submit multiple entries however no more than two may be selected
- Artists are responsible for the insurance of artworks, delivery and collection of artwork(s).
- Artwork(s) must be delivered in a format and condition that is ready for display.
- Artwork(s) must be wrapped securely or in a purpose fitted bag and clearly marked.
- For more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0438 966 855
ART JOURNAL ENTRY
Participants are requested to contribute relevant information about themselves and each exhibited artwork for a ‘Creative Art Journal’ that will be displayed on a plinth in front of the exhibition for visitors to the exhibition.
Please provide a handwritten Artists Statement with your entry, along with images, written reflections, fabric swatches, drawings etc. A page (or two) will be creatively compiled on your behalf to best represent you the artist, and your artwork for visitors to peruse.